You may notice that when winter arrives, your skin becomes dehydrated, and problematic skin with skin conditions are exacerbated. This can be a result of many things, but most commonly – the effects of winter.
Indoor heating – wood fires and air conditioning, hot showers and wind are the most common factors that will contribute to damaged skin.
Wind and cold air can tighten the pores & restrict blood circulation, in turn, reducing the natural oils produced as a protective layer from external factors. Indoor heating of any type will lower humidity levels in the air, over time drying out your skin and aggravating any existing skin conditions.
These are some of the many reasons it’s important to keep your skin protected from wind, hot and cold air, and keep it hydrated with a high-quality moisturiser that will lock in the moisture for the whole day! One of our favourites is the La Vita Vanilla Shea Body Butter which is perfect for conditioning dry skin and dull spots while deeply nourishing the skin.
In winter, our immune systems shift, and acne breakouts become more common. This is caused by a reduction in naturally occurring oil, no longer protecting our skin from bacteria entering our pores and hair follicles. It is important to use a cleanser that actively works to protect your skin from bacteria but is mild enough not to dry out your skin.
Because the skins lipids are reduced and the protective barrier that keeps allergens, irritants and infections out is compromised, it’s important to moderate the temperature of your shower. Hot showers can be quite damaging to your skin, leaving it to dry out which can cause irritation and red patches.
Ways to prepare your skin for winter:
- Stick to short warm showers. Hot water can be damaging to your skins barrier and create red, uneven skin tone.
- Remove dead skin cells with Professional Exfoliator. Exfoliating before moisturising will assist in absorption. Exfoliate at night-time as your skin will regenerate faster overnight. This can be applied on the face and the entire body.
- Invest in a high-quality moisturiser. Invest in professional products as they contain more active, healthy ingredients with less fillers. This means they are less likely to bring on any skin conditions and reactions. Results driven brands are priced differently for a reason! Your skin is worth more than that! We have a range of options according to your skin type and concerns. If you’re not sure what is best for you, it’s important to have a consultation with one of our qualified therapists to ensure you achieve the best results.
- Use sunscreen - Did you know that 80% of ageing is due to sun damage? It’s vital to use sunscreen everyday – don’t forget your hands! There are most exposed while driving.
- Use Vitamin C. Winter is the perfect time to use a Vitamin C concentrate because your skin is more lacking than usual and tends to become quite dull. Boost your skin’s radiance. Stay hydrated. If you drink less water in winter, a good alternative is herbal tea as your daily water intake, and it will keep you warm!
- Use a humidifier. Indoor heating dries out the air and your skin, so put a humidifier in your home or office to add moisture to the air.
- Introduce a high-quality oil into your skin care regime. Your natural oil production decreases in winter so adding an oil to your skin care regime will help to replace what is lost and give your skin that natural healthy glow!
- Treat your skin! We recommend that to keep your skin healthy and nourished, you should return for a facial every 4 weeks! Our Facials can be tailored to any skin type or concern and work towards healthier skin all year round!